|Voice Actor||Rebecca Davis|
Yukishiro Tomoe was the daughter of a well-to-do samurai family that remained on the side of the Bakufu during the bakumatsu and was engaged to her childhood friend Kiyosato Akira. However, when Akira was slain by the Hitokiri Himura Battōsai, Tomoe leaves home and joins the Yaminobu in order to avenge her fiancé. However, after tracking Battōsai down, she slowly falls in love with him and becomes his wife instead. As the Yaminobu close their net around Himura, Tomoe intervenes and, saving her new husband's life, becomes a casualty herself - cut down by Himura's own sword. As such, Tomoe becomes Himura's primary motivation in his oath never to take another life as well as the motivation for her younger brother Enishi's revenge.
Tomoe was a beautiful young woman with jet-black hair and eyes, though Nobuhiro Watsuki's color pictures of her suggest that her eye color is red. She is thin and wears a white kimono with a purple shawl. She is constantly seen with a serene, almost sad look on her face, and rarely sports an expression of high emotion (for instance, happiness, anger, etc.).
The initial image of Tomoe as she is introduced into the series is blank and quite apathetic. This could be due to the death of her fiance, Kiyosato Akira, who is killed before Tomoe appears in Kenshin's flashback. She says that she's always had trouble expressing herself, not even smiling when Kiyosato proposed to her despite her joy. As such, she partially blames herself for his death. Though when interacting with her brother, Yukishiro Enishi, she becomes affectionate and shows more of her emotional side. After spending time with Kenshin, Tomoe begins to open up to him and even cries in his arms after confessing how she had tried to hate Kenshin for the murder of Akira. After Kenshin promises to protect the happiness that he has given her, Tomoe smiles at him. "This man stole my happiness from me...and gave me a new happiness. Farewell... my second love..." These are her parting words to Kenshin.
- Kenshin was the one who killed her fiancee. In order to to get revenge, Tomoe marries him, acting as a spy for the Shogunate, but she starts to develop feelings, which she keeps a secret by writing in her diary. After she dies protecting Kenshin, the latter learns the truth and filled with sorrow, he vows never to kill again once the revolution is complete and to atone for all his sins. She appeared in his dream, where she smiled for Kenshin after he smiled and told the latter that the Tomoe inside of Enishi stopped smiling for her.
- He is the only family member she had after death of her mother and their father's abandonment. Tomoe became a mother-figure to Enishi. After her death Enishi lost all sense of himself and had only one desire: to get revenge on Kenshin. Only after reading Tomoe's dairy, which was given to him by Kaoru, did Enishi realize Tomoe's true feelings for Kenshin.
- Akira was Tomoe's childhood sweetheart and fiancee whom she was going to marry before the former was killed by Kenshin.
Tomoe is the first child of a samurai as well as a low-level bureaucrat who served the Tokugawa Shogunate in Edo. Her mother died giving birth to her brother Enishi which forced Tomoe to become a surrogate parent to her brother. Tomoe met Kiyosato Akira, the second son of another similarly-ranked family as child. They became childhood sweethearts and planned to get married which Enishi disliked at first but grew to accept it. Her happiness is short lived when Kiyosato is killed by Himura Kenshin.
She later met Kenshin after he killed an assassin sent to kill him. She fainted and Kenshin took her with him. Overtime, Kenshin started to develop feelings for her and they eventually married with Kenshin fifteen at the time and Tomoe eighteen. This was revealed to be a ruse as Tomoe was a originally a spy to find Kenshin's weakness. Overtime, she saw a more gentle side of him and abandoned her mission, having fallen in love with him. Her superiors were able to take advantage of his love for her. They nearly succeeded in killing Kenshin after several attempts to. The final battle resulted in the leader and Kenshin charging at each other. Tomoe however, got in the way and stopped the leader from landing the killing blow on Kenshin, enabling him to kill the leader but her as well. Before dying, she gave Kenshin the second half of his signature cross-shape scar, the first having been given to Kenshin by her fiance.
In Live-action filmEdit
She appeared during a flashback where she broke down and wept at Akira's body though her face is never shown. There's a possibility that she will appear in a future prequel. Kenshin mentioned to Megumi about scar on his face. Her appearance is noted by white plum petals, a nod to her perfume in the original story.
Development and ReceptionEdit
Watsuki has stated that Tomoe's appearance and personality were modeled after Rei Ayanami from "Neon Genesis Evangelion."
- In the sixth ending of the anime, 1/3 Junjou na Kanjou, Tomoe appears in two scenes.
- Tomoe meaning 'Friend and blessing'
- Due to a translation error, the warrior Kenshin killed alongside Tomoe was said to be her father in the English dub of Samurai X Trust and Betrayal. In the manga, her father was an old man who helped Kenshin get back on his feet after Karou's "death".