The Juppongatana (Ten Swords - 十本刀) are an elite group of swordsmen and a special attack force under the orders of Shishio Makoto against the Meiji government.
The Juppongatana are the main antagoninsts of the Kyoto Arc, and are gathered for the first time (except for Cho, who is in prision) in episode 44 of the anime series. Each one of the Juppongatana has a different skill and the only thing they all have in common is some kind of resentment against the Meiji government. Despite the tendency to rank the fighters in groups like this, none of the Juppongatana have an official rank, although they agree in some points: that Soujiro was the strongest and that Iwanbo was the weakest.
The Juppongatana have 11 members:
- Shishio Makoto, leader and founder of the Juppongatana.
- Seta Sōjirō, also known as 'Soujiro, The Tenken'
- Kariwa Henya, also known as 'Henya, The Flighted'
- Honjō Kamatari, also known as 'Kamatari, The Large Scythe'
- Yūkyūzan Anji, also known as 'Anji, The Destroyer'
- Sadojima Hōji, also known as 'Houji, The Knowledged'
- Sawagejō Chō, also known as 'Cho, The Sword Hunter'
- Uonuma Usui, also known as 'Usui, The Blind Swordsman'
- Iwanbō, also known as 'Iwanbō, The Round Demon'
- Saizuchi of the Destruction Army, also known as 'The Destroying Yin'
- Fuji of the Destruction Army, also known as 'The Destroying Yang'